Portugal's tourists among those who spend least on holiday
25 August 2018
Read this week's issue online exactly as it appears in print.Home Â» Business Â» Portugalâs tourists among those who spend least on holiday Portugalâs tourists among those who spend least on holiday by TPN/Lusa, in Business Â· 23-08-2018 11:18:00 Â· 0 Comments
Portuguese are among the European citizens who spend the least on their holidays, dishing out an average of â¬136 per trip, less than half the European Union average of â¬336, according to figures published earlier this week by Eurostat.
Figures from the EUâs official statistics office on, âwho spends more on holiday,â with figures for 2016, show that Luxembourgers spend the most, averaging â¬768 on each trip (one or more overnight stays), followed by Maltese tourists (â¬646) and Austrians (â¬607), while Latvians (â¬107), Romanians (â¬124), Czechs (â¬129) and Portuguese (â¬136) tourists were at the opposite end of the scale.
In absolute terms, Germans spent the most on holiday, accounting for 28 percent of EU tourist spending, which amounted to â¬120 billion (an average of â¬443 per trip), which reached â¬428 billion in 2016.
Of the total amount spent by EU citizens on tourist travel in 2016, 45 percent was sp ent in their country of residence (domestic tourism) and 55 percent in other countries, with 66 percent of Portuguese spending focused on domestic tourism, the fifth highest percentage in the EU.
25 August 2018
Read this week's issue online exactly as it appears in print.
Place a Classified ONLINE
- Home & Finance - Spring
- Home & Finance - Autumn
- Educational Supplement
- Health & Beauty Supplement
- Golf in Portugal teetimes
- Rural Fire & Protection
- Briton still missing after being thrown from inflatable into Santa Clara Dam
- Dole queues shrink to new low
- Easyjet flight diverts to Porto due to âdisruptive drunkâ passenger
- Portugal has second most expensive electricity in Europe
- Number of animals being abandoned in Portugal on the up, say vets
- Teen rescued from Praia da Rocha cliffs
- PAN questions Government over âdualityâ of GNR in Albufeira bullfight fracas
- Seventy-four homes destroyed in Monchique fire
- Praia da Rocha tops Portugalâs most Instagram-ed beaches
- Portugalâs tourists among those who spend least on holiday
- Mercedes recall numbers not known as yet
- More summery weather on the way â" albeit slightly cooler
- President opens Fatacil as Prime Minister relaxes in Lagoa
- Downed drone on airport runway halts operations at Lisbon
- Portuguese consulates overseas t o accept documentation in other languages
- Europe announces team for Junior Ryder Cup
- Top A Level Grades Double at Nobel International School Algarve
- 38 beaches closed to public so far this year
- Tourism revenue up
- ZERO sends complaint to European Commission about airport in Montijo