Lyrics and riffs with Portugal. The Man's Eric Howk
There they are, as the January 28, 2018 Grammy night gets underway, doing a red-carpet interview, Zach and John. Their song, âFeel It Still,â written during a 45-minute break from working on âLive in the Moment,â was a surprise nominee for best pop duo/group performance.
Zach does most of the media chatter, claiming to be wearing his first ever tuxedo. John listens and nods, and chimes in that they are most creative right after they finish a record. The hit song âjust makes me want to work harder,â he said.
Two hours later, they hold the Grammy in their hands. Thereâs Eric, all smiles, in a tux. Again, Zach does the speechifying, saying itâs important to âRep where youâre from,â and giving a shout out to villagers from âShishmaref, Barrow, Bethel, all the Indigenous Peoples in Alaska and around the world. Youâre beautiful, your cultureâs beautifulâ¦Rep where youâre from!â
When asked about being nominated for a Grammy on their eighth album, Zach said:
âThereâs amazing artists that come out of nowhere that are just amazingly talented. We werenât those people â" we had to work for a while and get betterâ¦ We had to play thousands of shows, we had to make those albums and keep getting better, and weâre all about hard work, and thatâs what weâve been doing.â
âWe like the struggle,â he added. âWe like sleeping in vans and eating rice at rest stops and it feels good to look back on the journey that weâve done and all that it took to get there and get this nomination [for best pop duo/group performance] is huge for us .â
It will be fun to hear Ericâs take on the journey (heâs been with the band since 2015 and plays on âFeel It Stillâ) as we listen to this and other tunes, dissect some lyrics and hear tales from the tour.
So get ready. Watch the music video; here are lyrics to âFeel It Stillâ:
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Eric Howk, Alaskan, Valley guy, band member Portugal. The Man
- Portugal. The Man website
- Links related to âFeel It Still,â the Grammy winner
- âFeel It Stillâ lyrics explained, NME website, 10.31.17
- âFeel It Stillâ lyrics explained, TIME magazine, 11.15.17
- âFeel It Stillâ lyrics explained, Genius You Tube video, 5.16.17
- âFeel It Stillâ lyrics explained, Songfacts
- American Music Awards 2017 performance âFeel It Stillâ
- Band with Local Roots Stays Grounded Amid Success, The Frontiersman, 12.2.2011
- Portugal. The Man singer tends to his Alaska roots, ADN, 2.22.12
- John Gourley: The Man Behind Portugal. The Man, Pigeons & Planes, 6.26.13
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 â" 3:00pm)
- Send e-mail to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
- LIVE: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
- REPEAT: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.